Hamsa for my friend

Monday, August 15, 2011
My friend needed protection, so she gave me a piece of wood and asked me to paint Hamsa for her to hang above the doorstep...

For all people that don't know what Hamsa is yet - a short introduction:
Hamsa (also known as Khamsa or Fatima Hand) - is a hand-shape amulet with Middle-East origin which protects a person or house against the evil eye. Known as Hand of Fatima commemorates Prophet Muhammad's beloved daughter - Fatima Zahra. The symbol and its properties are spreaded accross the entire southern Mediterranean and Middle-East Region, they are also popularized in many parts of Europe. Of course - it's a matter of choice if you believe in a power of it or not ;) My friend beliefs, so it was important for her to acquire one.
Fortunately she allowed me to use colors I wanted to and didn't interfere with the process ;) I used some nice cobalt-blue acrylic paints for the shape and few spots I filled with golden and red paint. I must admit it was an awful block of wood full of splinters, so I had to polish and clean it a bit, still I lacked poper tools but I really did what I could...


Of course I couldn't resist of making special cobalt-blue jewellery that fits the symbol, so I took some of my beads and created three pairs of earrings, two bracelets (Venetian glass) and also two silver bracelets with blue, white and crystal charms (Pandora-like):


Hamsa is hanging above the door of my friend's house now (hope it's doing its job well), two of those bracelets have been taken by my mother on sight. Fortunately I still have two more and that three pairs of cobalt-blue earrings to comfort me ;)


Share this:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Archive

Sharing

Share |