Morpho butterflies & clematis lanterns

Thursday, August 18, 2011
In another blue creation I've decided not to use decoupage. Painted art over an item is much more beautiful. I've collected some photos of blue morpho butterflies and blue clematis flowers to see how did they look like in detail, where to add light and shadow and what kind of color palette should I choose. Then I took two tall jars used previously for olives, took labels off and cleaned them with alcohol to degrease them. I chose white acrylic paint used for painting furniture and covered those jars with a thick layer of it, painting them few times each half an hour. The paint covered the surface equally without smudges visible.
Then I sketched butterfies, flowers and leaves with a pencil and painted them with acrylics.
This is the effect:



I've covered my painting with a matte water varnish to protect it and prevent it from changing the color in the future...

I've also added satin ribbons over each screw-thread because they didn't look nice and I wanted to cover that sign of a jar ;) Then I used few beads and a very thin silver wire to make a little decoration over each ribbon...

Inside jars is a lot of space for a tealight. I filled both of them with riverstones till the half of the height. I placed each tealight just over them - now it's easy to light them and lanterns are more stabile with stones inside, so they can be used in the garden. I was also thinking about making hanging versions of them and decorate a tree with them... My blue jewellery I've made by myself and a perfume vial complete the design...


Below are four photo-references for my painting:





Share this:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Archive

Sharing

Share |